David Thaw, CPA, MST
David is well-known for his experience in advising clients during all stages of business activity such as formation, operations and dispositions. He is responsible for overseeing tax compliance with regards to client income tax reporting obligations, including FAS 109 and Fin 48 compliance for public and privately held entities. David also works closely with his clients in providing tax consulting and planning, and is well-versed with income tax provisions for public and privately held companies.
He has several clients who have operations in the US and abroad, assisting them with multi-jurisdiction tax compliance in North and Central America, Asia Pacific and the European Union. David works with mid- and large-cap companies in the real estate, technology, manufacturing/distribution and professional services fields.
A large part of David’s practice includes Real Estate companies and funds. He has over 20 years of experience in public accounting, including 10 years with Ernst & Young, LLP and KPMG LLP. During his tenure at Ernst & Young, he was a member of its Partnership Tax Group, a national network of specialists in the field of partnership taxation.
David is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the California Society of Certified Public Accountants. David is a member of the board of directors at Gumbiner Savett Inc. and currently heads the Tax Department.
- State of Accounting – Points of View from the Accounting Leader’ Desks: Entity Choice a Hot Topic After Tax Reform, Los Angeles Business Journal, August 2018
- A Powerful Energy-Efficiency Tax Break for Commercial Property, Commercial Property Executive, July 2011
- Tax relief laws could give US retail a shot in the arm, Estates Gazette, April 2011
- Taking Advantage of Tax Provisions, Commercial Property Executive, December 2010
- Real Estate Tax Planning: Dealing with Distressed Assets, December 2010
- The Carried Interest Debate: Legislation That Threatens the Real Estate Industry, Commercial Property Executive, August 2010
- A Taxing Decision: How to choose the right tax entity, Smart Business Los Angeles (interview), November 2008
M.S. in Taxation, University of South Carolina
B.S. in Accounting, University of South Carolina